I have a long running theory that Williard Mitt Romney is not really a human. He’s just too perfect, too put together. Look at his never messed, never trampled hair and tell me that’s the hair of a human being. If Romney is a human, I have a second theory. He’s been in a time capsule since the 1950s. His mannerisms, his sayings, his weird sense of humor, all of it seems to come from a “Leave it to Beaver” conception of the 1950s.
Regardless of whether he is a time travelling super human from the 1950s or a robot, Mitt Romney has a serious problem with connecting people. I think a large portion of his support comes from the fact that he looks and has the resume of a President. However, the longer he is the news, the more people are going to pay attention to him and see an utter lack of connectability. Put him up against Obama, who is in some ways likeable, or at the very least human, and you start to have a real problem.
This is particularly a problem for Romney since his entire campaign has had one theme: I’m electable. Look at these bozos around me, he says, I am not like them. I actually look and sound like the president, plus I have the favorability and polling numbers to back it up! Don’t mind my history of flip flops, my designing of the policy forerunner of unpopular Obamacare, and my lack of essential human traits, I’m electable by gosh! Did I mention I’m electable.
Take away the electability numbers, and the Romney campaign becomes an Emperor without any clothes.
Consider all of this a prelude to these two links.
The first, http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/288977/romneys-moment-jonah-goldberg, is a quick blog post by Jonah Goldberg (whose writing skills have steadily improved – but that’s room for another post). He basically describes Romney as someone who can’t make the sale. I think it’s more than that. Romney is someone who you are skeptical of even allowing into your home to begin to make the sale.
The second comes from the Washington Post:
Read it, learn it, and let it sink in. Romney’s favorability ratings near Gingrich’s. Yeah, that’s bad, very bad. He’s at a 50% un-favorability rating among independents, aka the group who decides elections. Now, of course favorability doesn’t determine who wins or loses an election, but it still matters.
Republicans are supposed to always win on the who would you rather have a beer with poll, not the who do you think would fire you and reinvest what was once your salary into a triple leveraged hedge fund poll.
Dane, while I agree with you that the Affordable Care Act is unpopular, I think the scope of opposition to it is often blown a bit out of proportion.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/healthcare/health_care_law
As for Romney, he is the Trent Dilfer of politics. While I think staying in the pocket and not making any mistakes might be good enough to make it out of a weak Republican field (notably lacking anyone the caliber of my man Mitch Daniels), but I'm not sure it's good enough to beat Obama, especially if the economy stabilizes by November.
Agree with you that electability is weak basis for his sales pitch, but I think Mitt is starting to change his angle of approach, making "executive experience" and "proven leadership ability" his new selling points. See my post-debate post for details.
ReplyDelete