Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I lied

Ok, So I broke down and actually watched the state of the union. I didn't see the beginning and I missed a chunk in the middle. Here are some random thoughts.

Hillary's hair is pretty terrible.

I think Joe Biden was tweeting or on a black berry or something. He kept diverting his eyes downward, like when someone is in class or a meeting and is trying to hide the fact that they are texting on their phone.

Fox News cut to Chuck Shumer a lot.

Maybe I missed this, but no mention of Obamacare.

No mention of the deficit, either.

Nice, strong ending.

Overall, I was surprised. The speech was narrow in its focus. It had tons of random, micro-proposals that sound nice on paper, but have little chance of getting passed. It was more of a first term SOTU, not the speech of someone who has been in office for three, going on four, years. The speech seemed as if a focus group gathered a bunch of people together, tested what proposals sounded good, and then threw them into the speech. There was no overarching proposal or idea. It was a well delivered speech, but very empty. Hollow. I think the word I’m looking for is unambitious.

I think people will like it. It will likely give him some boost in his poll numbers. But did it change the election, did it provide anything lasting?


I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment