Friday, June 1, 2012

I think I know who the President is going to be…


And it’s not Obama.

Allow me to explain.

I’ve been following this latest election very closely. Truth be told, I follow all elections closely, as I am unfortunately a politics/news junkie. That said, I thought that this race would be a close one. I thought Obama had the upper hand, being an incumbent, and would likely win re-election. A confluence of recent events makes me think otherwise. Over the past month, my confidence in Obama’s re-election has dropped, to the point where I think it is highly unlikely that he will win, despite the recent polling showing the race a dead heat. Why? Read on and I’ll tell you.

Before I do that, I want to say that although my political leanings are well known (right-wingish) I’m going to try to present the following analysis as unbiased as possible. I’m not going to say what I want to happen or what I think should happen or who I think should win. Rather, I’m going to give to you, all five of my loyal readers, why I think Romney has this election on lock. I’ll try to be as objective as possible. I’ll admit that while I do read left-wing websites, I read more conservative information sources than liberal, so I may be missing important data. If you feel that I’m wrong, or ignoring some factor, call me out on it. I welcome, and encourage, all criticism. With that said, let’s get to it.

This election is about one thing: the economy. It’s not about Sandra Fluke. It’s not about Bain Capital. It’s not about the “War on Women.” It’s not about Trayvon Martin or Fast & Furious or immigration. It’s all about the dismal state of the American economy. Unemployment recently crept back up to 8.2%. GDP growth has been tepid. Incomes remain stagnant. Inflation, though not too strong, has noticeably impacted people’s food and gas budgets. Labor force participation, a measurement of how many people are actually working, is at a record low. The stock market is currently plunging. This is a dark, scary time. There is a very real, and palpable, feeling out there that this is no ordinary recession or market downturn. That instead, the US is slipping into a malaise at best and a depression at worst which threatens to permanently lower living standards, leaving all of us with less opportunities and wealth than before. Among the younger generation, there’s a worry that we won’t have the same lifestyles that our parents did, that the American dream has been shut off to us.

But these feelings aren’t new. They were there back in 2008, and even before the beginning of the recession. Although it may be youthful nostalgia clouding my perception of the situation, I don’t think Americans have been fully confident in their future since the late 90s. September 11th, and then the hollow, debt fueled recovery afterwards gave birth to this sense of unease. The 2008 election was, in many ways, an attempt to return to the pragmatism, led by a then-charismatic young politician, of the 90s. I don’t think people wanted another cultural war. I don’t think they wanted another war on terror, or a war on the right, or a war on religion. I think they wanted, and expected, an improvement to the economy. Obama was charged with one goal, albeit a very complicated and difficult one: get the economy on the right track. Has it done it? No. Now, you can blame the GOP in Congress, or his policies, or George Bush, or whatever boogie man (or woman) you’d like, but I don’t think even the most devout Obama fans can say that the economy is where they’d want it to be.

With the recent economic news coming out that the recovery has stalled (for the third time), I think the great middle of relatively non-ideological voters that flip from election to election are going to break for Romney. It’s as simple as that. The economy hasn’t improved. You can offer a lot of technical explanations and excuses as to why it hasn’t improved (and I’m personally sympathetic to a lot of them) but at the end of the day, it hasn’t improved. Okay, want more? Here are three additional reasons why I think Obama loses.

1) Europe. As someone who has lived on the continent for two and a half years, I can tell you that Europeans have really let themselves go. They’re running on the fumes of a brilliant and beautiful civilization, now ready to die out. Ever so kind, they’re going out with a bang. You don’t have to be a Goldman Sachs analyst to realize that Europe, and their stupid pet project of the Euro, is falling apart. To make a long story short, the countries that make up the Eurozone are in heavy debt with slow growth. To get growth restarted, they need more debt. But if they get more debt, bond traders will bankrupt their countries. And if they don’t get growth restarted? Bond traders will bankrupt their countries. The end result being that at any moment, we could see another Lehman Brothers type event, causing a runaway financial meltdown. If the European banking system goes, our banks are going to get hit. It’s a double hit. Our banks take huge losses and our economy losses out on trade. If Euroland goes nuclear, it’s going to hit the American economy hard, furthering harming Barack Obama’s chances.

2) Money. Read this article here. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76849.html. If you read one article on the Presidential election, make sure it’s this one. Back in 2008, Obama massively outraised the McCain campaign. In this election, Republicans have a huge, $1 billion (yes billion with a b) war chest that they’re ready to drop on Obama. That’s NOT including the Romney campaign and the RNC. Thanks to the Supreme Court Citizens’ United decision, billionaires can donate unlimited funds to super pacs, which can then run ads. Combine this with recent reports that Obama’s campaign has maxed out donors and is struggling to raise money, and you have a Romney campaign with a massive financial advantage.


3) Polls. Here is a lovely map of the last election, showing battleground states in manila:


There’s been a ton of polls released, some of them contradictory. But generally, the trend is that Obama is below 50% in most of the battle ground states. Romney has a strong lead in North Carolina and Florida. Wisconsin is about to elect Scott Walker, a pretty hardcore Republican, putting it in play. Rasmussen just released a poll with Romney ahead in Ohio. In Pennsylvania, traditionally a Democratic stronghold, Republicans swept state offices in 2010, taking a senate seat and the governorship. Nevada, Colorado, and Iowa, all once solidly Obama states, are unnecessary for Romney to win if he wants to narrowly edge out a victory. Yet, recent polling puts Romney in a statistical dead heat in all of those states. These numbers will likely fluctuate, but remember where we are. Romney has just received all of the needed delegates to secure the nomination. Although it may seem hard to believe, a lot of low information voters still don’t know who he really is. His campaign hasn’t kicked into full gear. The fact that he’s running competitively in a lot of these states, at his weakest point, shows that his campaign has a solid foundation. Couple that with the fact that Obama is consistently polling sub-50% in most of these states, and you have a precarious situation for the Obama campaign.
                      
Of course, all of this can and will change. It’s hard to forecast a race some 6 months out. Anything can happen. But if I had to put money on it, I’d put it all on Romney. As the kids say, the odds are in his favor. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't disagree with what you've said here, but I hope your prediction is wrong. (I know we talked about this in person, but I wanted to comment.) It's not because I'm an Obama fan- I'm pretty apathetic about Obama. It's because I want to see the Republican candidates for 2016. I don't foresee the economy bouncing back in the next 4-ish years, but I think it will (or is more likely to) in the next 8. Let Obama ride out the malaise, then let someone fresh come in and hopefully implement fiscally conservative policies that dovetail with the timing of a natural market rebound. Romney's kind of a pathetic candidate, relative to past "great" Republican presidents. I'd rather wait out the next four years and then let someone with more moxy have a shot at a Republican presidency.

    ReplyDelete